Harissa is a salty, fiery hot seasoning, that can be added stirred into stews or soups to liven them up. If you follow this recipe, I would not add more than about 1/8tsp per person!
it is an excellent way of using up surplus chillies you might have grown!
TIP: I find harissa jazzes up cuppa soups wonderfully!
Ingredients for Harissa
Enough for LOTS:
12 habanero chillies
100 ml olive oil
6 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp coriander
1 tsp smoked paprika
2 tsp salt
1. De-seed the chillies – use rubber gloves if using habanero chillies!
2. Combine the rest of the ingredients except the smoked paprika and salt in an ovenproof bowl.
3. Bake in a preheated oven (150°) for about 1 hour.
4. Allow to cool, and add the salt and smoked paprika.
5. blitz to a smooth paste, and spoon into a sterilized jar.
[comment comment_file =”/comments.php”]