Paneer is a fresh unaged cheese common to the Indian subcontinent.
Time: 60 minutes (including pressing)
Good With: Masala Curry
Ingredients for Paneer
1 litre full milk
60ml lemon juice
1. Pour the milk into a large saucepan and bring to the boil. Remove the heat.
2. Stir in the lemon juice, a teaspoon at a time, until the milk separates.
3. Place a colander in a sink, and line with a clean tea towel.
4. Pour the contents of the saucepan into the colander.
5. When the liquid has drained through, rinse with cold water to remove the lemon juice.
6. Season with salt and pepper.
7. When cool, gather the corners of the tea towel together, and twist to expel as much liquid from the cheese.
8. Flatten, and press under a heavy weight for about 45 minutes.
9. Wrap in cling film, and refrigerate until ready to use.
Note: will keep in the fridge several days. Can also be frozen.
Tip: to weight the paneer, I place the tea towel in a shallow Tupperware box, and place this under the leg of the coffee table. You may need to scrape the paneer of the tea towel after weighting. Reconstitute, ad wrap tightly in Clingfilm.
[comment comment_file =”/comments.php”]