Do not be tempted to add other ingredients to this version of the French classic Leek and Potato Soup (Potage Parmentier), or you will spoil the subtlety!
I like to make a big vat of this soup, and serve is as a main course with crusty bread. But you will probably need a starter. Insalata Caprese, of Avocado Vinaigrette would go rather well. And if there is any soup left over, I serve is as a starter the next day.
Time: 45 minutes
Good with: crusty bread, or as a starter
Ingredients for Leek and Potato Soup
250g floury potatoes
2tbsp soft herbs (parsley, chives, chervil) chopped.
1. Chop the potatoes (you do not need to peel them.)
2. Chop and wash the leeks.
3. Bring the water to the boil in a large pan, and add the vegetables and salt.
4. Simmer for 30 minutes.
5. Liquidize, and pass through a sieve.
6. Away from the heat, stir in the cream.
7. Ladle into soup bowls, sprinkle with the chopped herbs and a really good grind of coarse black pepper.
Note: the chilled version is Vichyssoise, and is also very good.
[comment comment_file =”/comments.php”]