This recipe for Rich Vegetarian Gravy uses the classic method of caramelizing vegetables, adding Marmite and soy sauce for flavour and colouring, and balsamic vinegar for character and acidity.
The recipe will freeze successfully.
Ingredients for Rich Vegetarian Gravy
Makes 500ml, enough for 2 to 3.
1 celery stick
1 tbsp olive oil
1 bay leaf
1 sprig of fresh thyme
1/2 tbsp soft brown sugar
1 tbsp plain flour
1 tsp Marmite
1 tsp soy sauce
1/2 tbsp tomato purée
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
500ml vegetable stock , preferably homemade
1. Chop the onion, carrot and celery. Add to a large pan over a medium heat with a splash of olive oil and the herbs.
2. Fry in the olive oil for around 15 minutes, or until turning golden.
3. Add the sugar and continue to cook for a further 5 minutes until sticky and caramelized.
4. Add the flour, then add the Marmite, soy sauce, tomato purée and vinegar. Pour in the stock, then bring to the boil.
5. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, then pass through a sieve into another pan. Press with a spoon to
squeeze out all the liquid.
[comment comment_file =”/comments.php”]