Shortcrust Pastry is traditionally made with half fat to flour. I prefer this richer variation, with Parmesan cheese to give it a savory kick. Obviously if this is the basis of a sweet recipe substitute the Parmesan for extra butter (logic tells me that a sweet recipe with Parmesan in the pastry would not work, but hey maybe worth a try?)
Ingredients for Rich Shortcrust Pastry
150g plain flour
30g Parmesan cheese, grated
90g butter, chilled
1. Sift the flour.
2. Add the Parmesan cheese and mix.
3. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Cut the butter into small cubes and mix into the flour, by hand or in a processor.
5. Slowly add water until the pastry is elastic. (probably 2tbsps)
6. Chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
[comment comment_file =”/comments.php”]