- 500g mixed mushrooms (such as chestnut, portobello, button, oyster, shitake, chanterelles
- 15g dried porcini mushrooms
- 25g butter
- splash of olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 1 garlic clove
- pinch of thyme
- pinch of caraway seeds
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp brandy
- 2 tbsp dry sheer or dry white wine
- 100ml vegetable or mushroom stock
- 100ml cream
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- Soak the dried porcini mushrooms in hot water until soft. squeeze out excess water, and retain the soaking liquid. Roughly chop.
- Chop the onion, finely chop the garlic.
- Wipe the mushrooms and cut into 1/2cm slices.
- Heat the butter in a large frying pan with a splash of olive oil.
- Fry the onions gently for about 5 minutes until soft.
- Add the garlic, sliced mushrooms, chopped porcini, thyme and caraway seeds. Turn the head up
- slightly and fry the for a further 5 minutes or so until the mushrooms start to brown.
- Add the smoked paprika and fry for a further 30 seconds.
- Add the brandy and sherry and flame to burn off the alcohol.
- Add the cream, stock and porcini soaking liquid, bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- Serve scattered with freshly chopped parsley and a really good grind of black pepper.